WL Gore & Associates (Gore) announced that the consumer business of its Fabrics division will introduce the use of expanded polyethylene (ePE) as a new platform of complementary materials to serve as the basis for their membrane technologies. Gore’s new ePE membrane will appear in GORE-TEX brand consumer products starting in the fall / winter 2022 season.
Products featuring Gore’s new ePE membrane will be introduced in a selection of consumer end uses, including outdoor and lifestyle clothing, lifestyle shoes and snow sports gloves. certain customers, including (but not limited to) Adidas, ARC’TERYX, Dakine, Patagonia, Reusch, Salomon and Ziener.
Announcement of Gore’s new ePE membrane reaffirms the GORE-TEX brand’s continued commitment to responsible performance – defined by Gore as the application of the brand’s unique experience, science and capabilities on a continuous journey to unlock new levels of performance and durability.
Gore has applied decades of scientific knowledge and polymer expertise to discover the combination of the right materials and processes that manipulate ePE into a solid microporous material.
Gore’s new ePE membrane:
● Takes advantage of a high strength-to-weight ratio to create extremely light and thin composites that remain mechanically strong.
● Allows long-lasting performance and a low environmental footprint.
● When combined with polyurethane (PU), the result creates a durably waterproof, windproof and breathable membrane.
● The combination of the ePE material and the low mass of the membrane results in a lower carbon footprint as measured by Higg MSI.
● Advances Gore Fabrics Division’s goal of being free of PFCs of Environmental Concern * (PFCEC) throughout the lifecycle of its consumer products.
GORE-TEX brand consumer products featuring Gore’s new ePE membrane will carry the famous GORE-TEX brand GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRYTM promise. Products intended for additional end uses by consumers (and from additional customers) will be introduced in the coming seasons.
* advances Gore Fabrics Division’s goal of being free from PFCs of environmental concern throughout the lifecycle of its consumer products. In this case, the goal is achieved by using non-fluorinated materials. https://gtx.is/pfcec
GORE, GORE-TEX, GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY and designs are trademarks of WL Gore & Associates.
WL Gore & Associates is a global materials science company dedicated to transforming industries and improving lives. Since 1958, Gore has solved complex technical challenges in demanding environments, from outer space to the world’s highest peaks to the inner workings of the human body. With over 11,000 associates and a strong team culture, Gore generates annual revenues of $ 3.8 billion. gore.com